This continues our series on the recent report that archaeologists found the Apostle Philip's tomb.
If St. Philip's tomb is verified, pilgrims from all over the world will come to see and be near an Apostle of Jesus Christ.
But, why is this a tradition in the Catholic Church? Why do we love relics and dead bodies so much?
In the United States, we do not have too many relics exposed for viewing. But, if you have been to Europe, you can't help but see relics all over the place. For instance:
- St. Francis Xavier's hand is in encased on the wall of the Gesu Church in Rome.
- St. Catherine of Siena's head is encased for viewing in a Church in Siena while her body resides in a Church in Rome.
- St. Vincent de Paul's incorruptable body is on display in Paris (picture on right).
So, why again do we do this? Why do we care so much about dead people? Why do we need to touch them? Isn't this all just a little freaky.
Well, let's let Sr. Mary Gabriel from the Sisters of Life explain from this one and a half minute audio clip from our last FOCUS Conference.
Material things can become holy. Jesus turned natural materials like bread and wine into something supernatural--His own body and blood. He used earthly things like mud to heal the blind. And, He is taking earthly things like ourselves and slowly making them into Himself. Our goal is to be like Him not in a vague sense, but in a tangible one. The saints are a visual witness to this. For St. Philip who lived with Jesus, this reality is even more...well, real.
For an article on the different types of relics and where you can find them go here.
You Might Also like
- The FOCUS Digital Campus by Kevin Cotter
- First-Hand Account: Pope Benedict in Cuba
- Abby Johnson speaks at a FOCUS Campus
- Chick Flick and Romance Novel Alternatives: What To Watch And Read During An Emotional Images Fast
- FOCUS International Conference
- What is Emotional Chastity?
- Throwing Stones at Ocho's Pornography
- Top Six Reasons to Download the New FOCUS Equip Mobile App
- March for Life 2012 Video
- Catholic Video Responses to I Love Jesus But Hate Religion
- FOCUS Missionaries Tebowing
- Catholic Summary: Does Jesus Hate Religion?
- Mark Wahlberg -- on Film, Family, and Faith
- On Angry Birds and Sainthood
- Why Dead People Matter Part 1 - What It Means to Follow Jesus
- FOCUSequip Website: By the Numbers
- Welcome to FOCUSequip Website and the Website Launch Contest
- And the winners are...
- Why Dead People Matter Part 3 - Lord, Liar, Lunatic, and Legend
- What is the New Evangelization? The answer might surprise you
- The Ultimate Relationship
- The Crux - To Preach Christ Crucified
- FOCUS Outreach Videos
- Three Purposes of a Bible Study
- The Pope Apologized for What?!